Inspiring Ideas for Teachers, iTunes U Courses

image
https://itunes.apple.com/us/course/the-civil-rights-act-of-1964/id958392306

Under the Inspiring Lesson Ideas section of iTunes U for Educators, I selected the lesson The Civil Rights Act of 1964. What sparked my personal interest in the lesson is that it is largely a project based lesson. Due to the fact that this lesson is based on projects, students not only build an understanding of the act, they put their newly gained knowledge to use creating a multimedia presentation, including a primary source. The act of applying the students newly acquired knowledge to a task or project greatly increases retention and is an important tool for every educator. Class discussion is also vital in this lesson, creating a cooperative and productive learning environment for all students in the class. I was also impressed at the immense quantity of different learning modalities are addressed through the application of technology. The apps used in this lesson utilize visual, audio, kinesthetic, and tactile learning strategies to make sure every student in the class is learning and progressing. Lessons of this nature inspire me as an educator to always make sure students are actively involved in their learning process by analyzing and creating different projects. Boring history lectures will come to an end with the use of technology in this manner. I would highly suggest it to all secondary social studies teachers.